Hopkins is a western suburb of Minneapolis and is surrounded by larger communities. The area is nearly 98% developed with little remaining vacant land.
The Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company same to the area in 1887 (later was called Minneapolis-Moline) to manufacture farm equipment. At one time, the whole community seemed to work for this manufacturer.
In 1893, the area was incorporated as the village of West Minneapolis. In 1928, the name was changed to Hopkins and named after Harley H. Hopkins, who was one of the areas first homesteaders and the first postmaster. He also allowed the town to build the train depot on his land (now the Dept Coffee House) with the agreement that the train station would say “Hopkins”. Assuming that was the town name when people arrived…it stuck.
In 1935, the Raspberry Festival was founded to boost business during the depression. It is held in July during the peak raspberry picking time.
When Archie Manning was a Minnesota Viking quarterback, his son, Peyton Manning, attended Elementary School in Hopkins. Also, BeBe Shopp who was Miss America in 1948 is from Hopkins.
Aztec made this rubber-like lure that was weedless thanks to its covered hooks. According to one package, it once sold for only 10 cents.